I stroll through life following my Lord. At times, I have not liked the paths He has led me down. Some valleys have been darkened by grief and heartache; they were deep, sad chasms. But faithfully, gently He carried me. His ways are past finding out and for that I am grateful. Christ is my Rock, my firm foundation. And through His love, I am finding joy in life and peace in Providence.
It's the the little things that make life worthwhile for me. A quiet evening with my family...singing, playing games, reading the Word together. Seeing the rain splash on the driveway, hearing the thunder, seeing the lightning. Feeling a warm breeze brush my face and mess my hair. Breathing in the scent of orange blossoms on a chilly night. Laughing at old jokes with friends and creating new ones. Photographing a face of any kind: wrinkled, smooth, dark, or light. Capturing their souls, each one unique. I enjoy viewing life around me in all its forms: the developing personality of a child, flowering buds, baby goats, families gathered together, the trees growing ever taller...
::I am Anna, herein lie my daring exploits. The day-by-day adventures of Living Under Grace::

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

::Pulling Weeds::

You're out in the yard, working. There it sits, growing heartily in your flower/vegetable garden, right where you don't want it!  A weed the size of a pogo stick is staring at you, laughing at you...it's been ignored too long. You sigh deeply, wringing your hands, thinking about the pain it's going to be trying to yank that beast up.

You give it a go.  Straining, tugging, and grunting the whole time.  You come up for a breather, only to discover that your hands are stiff and sore from the strain.  "Oh whatever," you think, "I'll just go get my gloves.  That'll help me grip it better."  And off you trot to get those garden gloves that the nice people at Lowes were only too happy sell you.

Again you try, with more grunts and tugs, but to no avail.  Perhaps you even try wrapping that long growth around your hand...yank.  "Ouch!  Forget that!" you think.  Then, you reach for the big gardener toys...a shovel or clippers.  You almost hesitate digging up the weed, thinking about the eyesore that will be left in its place.  But no, it must come out.  The health of your beloved plants is at stake!  So dig you must.

After the horrid vegetation comes out with ease, you think, "By Jove! (or something like that)  Why didn't I think of this before?  It's much easier!"
Then away you walk, tossing the weed into a trash can.  All the while cheered by your sensible use of shovel.

}{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{

Hebrews 12:14-15
Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord:
looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;  (italics mine)

If your mother is anything like mine, you've probably heard this analogy before.  :)

Photobucket

Sin, is a horrible "weed."
Sometimes I notice a little sprout and think, "Gee, I'm kinda busy right now and it's still small.  But I'll take care of it in a few days."  And then (wouldn't you know it?) there I am weeks later trying to rid the yard of a monstrosity. 

My sin is the exact same way.  It thrives on neglect.  Like a weed, it pops up right where I don't want to see it.  I groan after realizing I've allowed it to fester so long.
So I try to yank it out on my own...no good.  My "sin garden gloves" won't cut it either.  Even when I try to "wrap" the sin around my hand for a good grip, it only ends up hurting me.

You see?  I can't rid myself of deep sin roots with my own two hands.  That's usually about the time the Lord gives me the idea to read His Word (use a shovel).  Oh, what a difference a tool it makes!
"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Tim. 3:16-17 (italics mine)
I can use instruction that the Bible gives me against sin, the same way I would a shovel on a weed.
It cuts it!  :)

~Anna
(PS)  Post dedicated to my Mom...I love you!  :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great analogy! My mom uses the exact same illustration! :) Haha love her and love your mom!
Miss ya much!
<3K

Anonymous said...

You mean to tell me that there are still people who try to deal with sin on their own? Sometimes I think I'm the only one left. My mother isn't an analogy-user, but your parable was one that I could (hypothetically, and if I use my imagination) definitely relate to on both levels.

I look forward to "visiting" you here each week. To those of us who are unable to see you in person at all often, this blog will give a second-best glimpse at your everyday life.

With love,
Mandy Kaylon

P.S. May I suggest that you post some pictures of your Christmas decorations?

Jean Marie said...

Heeeellllllooo, darling!!! Ahem. *pleading face and huuuuge pitiful eyes* Could we see just ONE PICTURE of Hannah and Peter's wedding? Just to tide us OVER a WEE BIT! I think that Paulina and I are on PINS AND NEEDLES HERE! :D <3 Much love, Anna!!!

~ Jean Marie

Becca Elizabeth said...

WE WANT TO SEE PICTURES FROM THE WEDDING!

okay, i said it.

<3

Jean Marie said...

Huzzah, huzzah, huzzah!!! Huzzah, huzzah, huzzah!!!!!! Pictures are up, a wee bit! I thanks you, dearest Anna!!! :D

~ Jean Marie

Anonymous said...

I'm blessed by the encouraging words spoken by my wise daughter here. You remind me of the hot days we spent in the garden which we gaze upon from our bedrooms. The one which had five foot tall weeds with practically no roots and 6" tall weeds with roots as deep as the height, tangled and dense.

Remember how we needed shovels to eradicate them? When I look at the beautifully blooming flowers now (how exciting in December to have peach snapdragons, yellow daisies, purple sage, fusia bougainvillea and white peace lilies blooming outside of my dressing room window), I remember the sweaty, filthy condition we ended up in and the aching back, arms and hands which crippled me for days after wards...but it was so worth it for the beauty it brings into the home and the satisfaction of orderliness.

My mother heart sings with joy that the Lord has used me to help you begin to comprehend the danger of 'roots of bitterness' as we walk, talk and work together in our daily life. He is surely going to complete the good work in your life, Anna, that He has begun<3

Even now, small weeds are threatening to overtake the garden again...this time I'm going to use a hoe and cut off their lifeline in a few minutes.

Thanks for the good reminder, daughter, to do preventive maintenance!

Love you so very much!
Mom