I stroll through life following my Lord. At times, I have not liked the paths He has led me down. Some valleys have been darkened by grief and heartache; they were deep, sad chasms. But faithfully, gently He carried me. His ways are past finding out and for that I am grateful. Christ is my Rock, my firm foundation. And through His love, I am finding joy in life and peace in Providence.
It's the the little things that make life worthwhile for me. A quiet evening with my family...singing, playing games, reading the Word together. Seeing the rain splash on the driveway, hearing the thunder, seeing the lightning. Feeling a warm breeze brush my face and mess my hair. Breathing in the scent of orange blossoms on a chilly night. Laughing at old jokes with friends and creating new ones. Photographing a face of any kind: wrinkled, smooth, dark, or light. Capturing their souls, each one unique. I enjoy viewing life around me in all its forms: the developing personality of a child, flowering buds, baby goats, families gathered together, the trees growing ever taller...
::I am Anna, herein lie my daring exploits. The day-by-day adventures of Living Under Grace::

Saturday, December 5, 2009

::Isaiah 61 at 2 a.m.::

Last night and early this morning found me with a dear friend, sharing the joys and struggles of our hearts with each other.

The evening started out just as many others we've spent together, pleasant chatting, perhaps a game of some kind (I won! :), eating, more chatting, a fun movie (Emma!), dessert, etc...  It was one of the most wonderful visits we've had in a long while...just the two of us.  At points, we laughed ourselves silly while reminiscing or fumbling around, it was grand.

We didn't start back for my home until 12:50 a.m.  During the short drive, we both began sharing sorrows and unburdening our hearts.  We've been through so much in the past two years.  Very hard, very sad things.  We cried in each others arms all the while speaking encouraging words about God's providence.  Simply letting things out, opening the flood-gates of tears helped to relieve our spirits.

We prayed, simple prayers.  Thanking the Lord for His abundant blessings and His hand in our lives.  Thanked Him for each other.  The time was about 1:30 a.m. by then.
And at the end of it all, we laughed at our miserable looking state, puffy eyes, smudged makeup and the like.  The sight of us was too much, the Lord gave us joy, sufficient for the moment.  :)

Photobucket

Right around 2 a.m., I felt led to re-read Isaiah 61, a favorite passage of mine.  I've gone through today thinking about these words and wanted to share them with you all.

Isaiah 61:1-3
1) The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
2) To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
3) To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.
(italics mine)

My brother Isaac passed away on September 28th, 2007 after a non-survivable motorcycle accident.  We were all shocked with grief.  During these past two years, the Lord has used this chapter (and these verses specifically) to "bind up my broken heart."
And because of His unfailing and infinite goodness, "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation..." (v. 10)

We have the assurance that all things, whether wonderful or seemingly horrific, will work to their ultimate end...the GLORY of God the Father!
11) For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.

May it ever be!  Receive the comfort of the Lord God.  Amen.
~Anna

3 comments:

Laura {{* *}} said...

This is certainly transparent,
and an answered prayer counter-part
to Jean Marie's recent billows of sorrow posts.
Your description of this precious kindred time together is what God intended us to be
one to another.
New Testament "one anothering"
Time spent in this way is precious to your spiritual maturity & invigorates you to grow closer
to God & man (woman) :)

You'll see.

This post touched me ol' heart n' made me love ye more.

{{* *}}

Jean Marie said...

I have felt that "garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness"....how heavy and overwhelming grief can be...

this is almost one of those comments where I don't know what to say....

I think I will just look at you that way where you know exactly what I'm thinking, and you pull me close in a strong hug, and .... you tell me God is faithful,

and ...

I say "I love you".

~ Jean Marie

Katie said...

You are too cute Anna. Thanks for sharing, and I pray God blesses your Sabbath! *hugs*