I stroll through life following my Lord. At times, I have not liked the paths He has led me down. Some valleys have been darkened by grief and heartache; they were deep, sad chasms. But faithfully, gently He carried me. His ways are past finding out and for that I am grateful. Christ is my Rock, my firm foundation. And through His love, I am finding joy in life and peace in Providence.
It's the the little things that make life worthwhile for me. A quiet evening with my family...singing, playing games, reading the Word together. Seeing the rain splash on the driveway, hearing the thunder, seeing the lightning. Feeling a warm breeze brush my face and mess my hair. Breathing in the scent of orange blossoms on a chilly night. Laughing at old jokes with friends and creating new ones. Photographing a face of any kind: wrinkled, smooth, dark, or light. Capturing their souls, each one unique. I enjoy viewing life around me in all its forms: the developing personality of a child, flowering buds, baby goats, families gathered together, the trees growing ever taller...
::I am Anna, herein lie my daring exploits. The day-by-day adventures of Living Under Grace::

Thursday, December 24, 2009

::Last-Minute Christmas Gift Idea::

Okaaay, so it's more like a last-SECOND gift idea.  :)
So, if you're anything like me, Christmas shopping kills you because you want to find that perfect something for your special sister or father, and you haven't seen that something anywhere!!
By now, Christmas Eve day, you are nigh unto pulling your hair out because of this lack-of-gift.

Usually, it's around this time that I remember a gift I used to give as a child.  Something that everyone loved...and always used within 3-4 minutes of receiving.
A coupon book.  But not just any coupon book!

It's when I can't find anything "good enough" that I remember time is the most precious of all gifts.  We are given one life...that is all.  The Lord appoints us a certain number of days with those we love.  We choose how to spend those days.
I want to give all my hours to the Lord's work in loving those He has so graciously given me. 
What better way to "gift the hours" than to give special coupon books for unique activities with the ones you love most?

Here's what to do:
Photobucket
Firstly, you must ban all recipients of these gifts to other quarters while working. 
(Yes, Dad naturally falls into the "hard-to-buy-for" category by simple virtue of his manhood. :)

Photobucket
Personalize!!  I chose some fancy paper colors that I know Olivia loves.

Photobucket
Next, I wrote down some activities that I knew Livie and I would enjoy together.  Just brain-storm for a little bit.

Photobucket
Then, I wrote each thing on an individual slip, taped them to the colored paper, and punched holes in the corners.

Photobucket
This is the cover card.  I embellished the front with some coordinating buttons...easy.

Photobucket
Cut tiny slits in the holes on all the "coupons" (NOT the cover card though). 
This will help them tear off easier when Livie wants to redeem them.  :)

Photobucket
Here's the list of coupons I ended up with, as they appear on the cards:
-A free bike ride...
-One thrifting date together...
-Good for one sleepover in my room...you and me!
-A movie night together.  Let's make popcorn!
-I'll meet you in the back yard for a wrestling match!  :)
-Let's play one afternoon!
-A long hug...whenever you need it.
(Yes, we do wrestle.)

Photobucket
Ta-Daaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!   Just tie it together with some ribbon and there you have it.  A nice little coupon book with personalized activities.  I can't wait to do all these things with Livia.  I really hope she likes it.  :)
I'll be working on Dad's book too...that's gonna be a bit of a challenge.  :)

Speaking of little hand-crafted gifts...CHECK THIS OUT!
Photobucket
My dear friend Mandy MADE this for me, can you believe it?!?!?  She is so incredibly talented!  The whole entire thing is about the same size as a little match box.  It's so beatiful I just had to share it.  I've got it on a little shelf in my room, looks perfect right there.  :)  Thank you Mandy...I LOVE IT!!! 
Christmas is almost here!! 
Blessings!

~Anna  :)

6 comments:

Laura {{* *}} said...

Thou inspireth moi...
*grin*

T'is not too late!
Off to the paper room & button jar
I merrily go

{{* *}}

Jean Marie said...

That's beautiful, Anna! You did such a sweet job on that...and I love the colors! I remember ... I still have some of MY coupon book from you! :D

I love you!
~ Jean Marie

Katie said...

HA HA! I wish I could see the "wrestling match in the backyard"!! Too funny :) But where is your dad's? I am looking for more wedding pictures, so I will go try you photography blog. Love you and I hope all had a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Well, don't I feel special now, having been designated the "very dear friend". You are very welcome. It's something I truly enjoy, and I don't think a coupon book would have worked out that well in this case, considering the distance. We have used that idea several times, though. Men are indeed hard to buy for. And sisters are hard to get rid of for any length of time during the Christmas season, aren't they? Ah, well. We made it, didn't we?

With love,
Mandy Kaylon

Olivia Christine said...

You can tell I don't look at blogs very often! Even my own sister's! :D Hehehe! It was great using the movie one on the Princess & the Frog tonight! Thanks! Merry Christmas!
Happy New Year! God blesssss! <3
Love,
~Olivia

Olivia Christine said...

I feel so loved..... I am the one she waits till the last minute to get something for.... Dad and I are outcasts.. :D JK! :D I still have it! :D I don't think Dad has used one of them. :D