I stroll through life following my Lord. At times, I have not liked the paths He has led me down. Some valleys have been darkened by grief and heartache; they were deep, sad chasms. But faithfully, gently He carried me. His ways are past finding out and for that I am grateful. Christ is my Rock, my firm foundation. And through His love, I am finding joy in life and peace in Providence.
It's the the little things that make life worthwhile for me. A quiet evening with my family...singing, playing games, reading the Word together. Seeing the rain splash on the driveway, hearing the thunder, seeing the lightning. Feeling a warm breeze brush my face and mess my hair. Breathing in the scent of orange blossoms on a chilly night. Laughing at old jokes with friends and creating new ones. Photographing a face of any kind: wrinkled, smooth, dark, or light. Capturing their souls, each one unique. I enjoy viewing life around me in all its forms: the developing personality of a child, flowering buds, baby goats, families gathered together, the trees growing ever taller...
::I am Anna, herein lie my daring exploits. The day-by-day adventures of Living Under Grace::

Friday, January 1, 2010

::2010, Sisterly Love, and Matthew 13::

Well here I am.  It's 11:30 on January 1st...yawn.  Wanted to post a few pics from an incredibly fun photo-shoot with my sisters a few days ago.  Em, Livia and I had a blast together!!  Should be posting more on my photography blog in the coming weeks.

Photobucket

I was up very late (or early :) new year's eve.  Played games with some wonderful church friends until the wee hours of the morning, and beyond.  During that time I discovered that Last Word is not my strongest game, I can play ping-pong at 3:45 in the morning (though not really well), I LOVE white cheddar Cheeze-Its, Brazilian Uno can be rather violent, and my laugh lines are deeper now.  :)  Didn't go to bed till 7:45 this morning, woke up at 4 this afternoon.

When I got up this afternoon, my mind moved to the generic new year question:
So...are you making any resolutions?

Let me tell you, I've been thinking about that all day.  I've laughed off the idea several years in a row; haven't really thought anything of it.  But today, this year...I did.

Should I give up unhealthy foods?  Cut down on movies?  Do I need to exercise?  Focus hard on my photography?  Practice fiddling more regularly?  Resolve to keep my room in better order?  Clear out unnecessary clutter?  Work harder to help my family around the house?
To all these things I could only answer...yes.
As I continued to ponder the ever-growing list of "resolutions", I realized something.
Though all these things are good and honorable in their own right, they are only the surface.
I need to dig deeper.

Photobucket

I read this short passage several weeks ago:
Matthew 13:1-9
That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat beside the sea.
And great crowds gathered about him, so that he got into a boat and sat down. And the whole crowd stood on the beach.
And he told them many things in parables, saying: "A sower went out to sow.
And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them.
Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil,
but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away.
Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them.  
Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
He who has ears, let him hear.
(italics mine)

I am a sinner, saved by Christ's grace.  The Lord was kind and sowed seeds of salvation in my life.
He prepared my heart to receive this wonderful gift, made it into "good soil".  Praise His name!!
In regards to New Year's Resolutions though, I was reminded of this phrase:
and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
This should mean something to me as a Christian.  It's truly amazing that the Lord saved me.  I feel gratefulness for that every day.
But am I showing fruit?  What kind of planting of the Lord (Is. 61:3) am I?  Do I bear a hundred, sixty, or thirty fold?
Honestly, sometimes I don't even feel like I'm at five fold much less thirty.  But I want so badly to be at a hundred!!

Photobucket

I'm grateful that Jesus didn't give us all ONE number to shoot for.  We're not all alike, and each life has its own set of circumstances.  No matter our differences though, we are to bear fruit.


In short, my New Year's resolution is this: to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.
(Read my Bible often, spend time in prayer throughout my days, joyfully participate in family and church life, tell others of my gratefulness to God, praise Him in all areas of life, set a good example for my younger sisters, etc.)

Photobucket

It is my prayer that in doing these things I will magnify the Lord and show Him to others.   Ministering to my family, that first great mission field.  That I may be called the planting of the Lord, bearing fruit in His name.  Perhaps producing as much as thirty, sixty, or even one hundred fold.

A very resolved young woman,
~Anna

7 comments:

Jeff said...

Great post and great pics and post and resolution. very uplifting and encouraging. Will keep you in prayer and may we all strive to produce more fruit this year.

Jeff

Jean Marie said...

Great thoughts, Anna....brings me to a more resolved-mind too. now please bear with me while I go and look at google and anysort of concrete surrounding area with a wood door and see if I can possibly tresspass on said property with as little or less panache. and while I also shriek with amazement because ohmygoodness Olivia's hair is straight and looks amazing, and when did she grow up, and also, THAT COLD PICTURE IS AWESOME. and I love you. the end.

~ Jean Marie
(off to search google....in desperation)

Emily said...

The second to last one is my favorite :)
Very cute ladies...very. I'm glad you like your gloves Anna ;)

blog said...

Thanks for posting that, Anna! It's something I really needed to hear!

I've tried to shy away from "New Years resolutions" and stick to creating goals, or "a plan" for my year, if you will. As the saying goes... if you don't know where you're going, any train will get you there!

Glorifying God and our sanctification should always be at the very top of our list, but I have found (in my own life) that creating goals allows me to be more productive for Him. I tend to flounder when I don't have goals (short and long term)... haha

~*~

I love, love, love the pictures! The bright colors are so neat, and of course you three are gorgeous!!

Love you,
Lauren

Zach said...

Glorify God and enjoy him forever--I love that...the chief purpose of man :) Good post and good hope with your resolutions.

~Zach S.

Jean Marie said...

Hey, Anna....could we PLEEAAASE see more AMAZING pictures from this photoshoot? :D Pretty please?

Love ever, and prayers,
~ Jean Marie

Olivia Christine said...

That was So much fun! :D