I stroll through life following my Lord. At times, I have not liked the paths He has led me down. Some valleys have been darkened by grief and heartache; they were deep, sad chasms. But faithfully, gently He carried me. His ways are past finding out and for that I am grateful. Christ is my Rock, my firm foundation. And through His love, I am finding joy in life and peace in Providence.
It's the the little things that make life worthwhile for me. A quiet evening with my family...singing, playing games, reading the Word together. Seeing the rain splash on the driveway, hearing the thunder, seeing the lightning. Feeling a warm breeze brush my face and mess my hair. Breathing in the scent of orange blossoms on a chilly night. Laughing at old jokes with friends and creating new ones. Photographing a face of any kind: wrinkled, smooth, dark, or light. Capturing their souls, each one unique. I enjoy viewing life around me in all its forms: the developing personality of a child, flowering buds, baby goats, families gathered together, the trees growing ever taller...
::I am Anna, herein lie my daring exploits. The day-by-day adventures of Living Under Grace::

Monday, April 19, 2010

::Entering the Twilight Zone::

I bet you thought this post was going to be about romantic vampires, didn't ya?  Didn't ya?!
Or perhaps about a haunted hotel with a plummeting elevator.

No?  Okay, maybe you didn't...anyway...

Tomorrow marks the 21st year since my entrance into this world as a totally depraved human being, desperately in need of salvation.
Photobucket
Wahooo!

My feelings about this event have been soooo mixed, I'm not even sure what to think.  o.O
I've swung all the way from excitement over my state-instituted, official adulthood (yay...), and a sinking feeling that my time is slipping, no, flat out running away from me.  This past year has gone especially fast.
Seems as though each new year tries to beat the previous one in the annual "365 Day Sprint"...me no likey.

Mostly though, I just feel plain ole ancient!  I know, I know...I'm a Spring chicken.
(Maybe you've noticed a gray streak in my hair...that's a total joke, by the way.  Perhaps I'm letting this "old" thing go to my head. ;)
It's at this time in my life, I'm starting to be able to look around me.  Observe young children I have babysat turn into TEENAGERS!!  That's just plain wrong.  Every time I see a little one growing up, I get this actual, literal, physical sensation of going through a worm-hole-time-warping-mechanism-type-thing.
Then I close my eyes, and sigh.
Photobucket
On the flip-side of the coin though...I'm really excited!  Like really, REALLY excited!
Not so much about the age as the Lord's goodness.  Seems like the longer I live, the more sin I notice in my life.  "That's nothing to get excited about," you might say.  True.  But, as time marches on, the Lord is also showing what a great Savior He is!
When I look at my sin in light of Christ's goodness and atoning power, I'm amazed!
"Yes, I'm a sinner.  Thank you God for the continuing growth that is revealing these bad qualities to me.  Thank you for mercy in revealing Your Truth!  I thank you that Your grace is greater than all these sins, though they be many!"
Are you getting excited yet?!
The longer I live, the more I come to realize the Lord's goodness and might!
Then I close my eyes, and sigh.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Photobucket
I smile a lot.  And I'm starting to really notice the effect around my eyes...and one corner of my mouth in particular.  Oddly enough, with all this "feeling old" business, the creasing doesn't bother me.
I love wrinkles you see, so long as they're happy ones. :)

Even with these special little creases forming, people still guess my average age to be 16 or 17.  Which is good, I guess.  :)
Just yesterday, my family and I performed at the church we grew up in as little girls.  And a lady wanted to use me as an example of the age she was during a certain time in her life.  (16)  Imagine her surprise when I told her Tuesday was going to be my 21st birthday!  We laughed and laughed!  Boy that was fun!

Photobucket

In other news...
Photobucket
My first card/gift arrived this afternoon.  Thank you SOOOOOOO much Mrs. Lynn!  I love it!!!
The picture has a wonderful personal note on the back.  No, you may not know what it says...them's special words betwixt two tall friends!  Hmm, I think I'll hang it on my door...  ;)

So here I sit.  Just as confused and excited as ever about being 21.  :)
Photobucket
At least it was relaxing!  Fun to put my thoughts down on...umm...screen...?  :)

It's right about 14 minutes till my natal day and I must away.  I've got this nice bag of chocolate (a gift) to keep me company while I stare at that calendar square.

Yay chocolate!  I hear the older you become, the slower your metabolism gets, and the more weight wonderful candies like this pack on...and the more the caffine over works your aging heart.
o.O
Photobucket
Oh well!  I'll enjoy this work-aholic metabolism while I've got it!!  :)

Cheers to getting older and growing in grace,
~Anna  :)

10 comments:

Jean Marie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA - "me no likey" .... words I have spoken myself!! I went through the same thing when I turned 21 ... and I STILL get shocked looks when people learn I'm 21. Just don't call me 15...I will knock you down. HAah.

I for one...am EXTREMELY excited about you turning 21!!!! It's just another year, dolly ... we'll laugh about this when we turn 30. and 40. and 50. O.o If we live that long, that is.

I LOVE your pictures, freaked a little over the hair...yipe!! LOVE that card from Momma Lynn.

I love youuuuuuu, ANNA!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

~ Jean Marie

Emily Swanky said...

:)
LOVE this post, Sister!
Blessings on today! YOUR BIRTHDAY!
I love you!
<3 Emmy

Laura {{* *}} said...

I love the "push me - pull me" flavor of this post :)
While 20 is still a bit of
in~between,
21 leaves no doubt
that you really have crossed over
to the path of adulthood.

To arrive at such a place

with feet firmly planted
on a path lit by His Word~

with heart deeply devoted
to His call on your life~

with mind fixed on
His saving grace~

...is utterly beautiful on you.

The picture of growing in grace
you are~
my tall Anna.

{{* *}}

Katie said...

Well my dear elderly person, I must say your face looks remarkably smooth in these lovely pictures and I saw nary a wrinkle :) But I DO know very much what you mean! I like your dreamy style of writing. Can you teach me how to do it? *wink* I am forever too blunt and to the point in my writing! Have a wonderful couple days of rejoicing and may you see many more years of a smooth lovely face (probably like 100 to be exact!!!). You are lovely, my friend, inside and out.

Zach said...

Happy Birthday Anna! Congrats on being legal (21)! Have fun on your awesome day :D

In Christ,
~Zach S.

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday Anna!
I hope that the Lord blesses your day with joy, and that you will continue to grow in His grace....

Your sister In Christ,
~Shannon~

Molly said...

Woohoo! Lovely post...the observations on being saved especially reminds me of 'Mere Christinity' (which I just finished reading today for the first time *pumps fist*). Which is a good thing. XD I've been told to enjoy the in-between-youtfulness-agedness-whateverness while it lasts...so you'd better enjoy it too!! :P

Anonymous said...

Me darlin' daughter!

You have the most interesting mind!

I love you beyond words and am glad you have made it to 21!

I think we can plan on at least celebrating your 55th birthday together (the one I'll be celebrating this year) - that is if it would be the Lord's will for me to live to be at least 89! :D

So...all that to say...This is the first of your adult years and I pray you will have many, many more and deeper and deeper laugh lines every year! You will wear them well!

Your ever-lovin' mama!

Jenna said...

Happy 21st Birthday, Anna! I hope you had a wonderful and blessed day! :)

Your Sister In Christ,
Jenna

Patricia said...

Happy Birthday Anna, you are sweet:)
Hugses! Love Trishie.